Thursday, March 26, 2009

Explorations in color and other homeworky things

So earlier this week, I decided I'd start my color study pictures. They are definitely (ETA: *not*!) the awesome pics everyone else takes and posts to their blogs, but nevertheless...they will kind of give you an idea.

In thinking about colors around me, I decided to take a pic of what I wore to work that day. If you can believe it, yes, I did actually wear ALL these colors-at the same time! Black shoes, brown sweater skirt, black sweater top, my new slouch beret I finished knitting not long ago...and yes, my Seal Rock Leyburns! Yeah, I tend to be a bit eccentric in my dress...


And earlier in the day, I had taken a picture of my commute...
I guess I never thought about how much gray is all over and around me! I am surrounded by gray. But guess what? You may not notice, but I do...all the bright red lights that poke out of the gray!
We City Folk likes us our neutrals, blacks and grays! But you can't keep out the glimmers of blue peeking through the clouds.

It's supposed to be depressing, but I really don't notice. I don't know if it is because I grew up in the foggier, less sunny part of San Francisco and am used of the grays, but it doesn't bother me. Maybe I can appreciate the splashes of color here and there because of this. But don't show my too many clear colors at once-it is much too bright for my senses!

Hmmm...I wonder if maybe that is why clear colors don't speak to me the way they do to someone like, say, Fiberfish Cece. Maybe colors and brightness is all relative. For someone like myself who is around lots of gray concrete, a muted background with all of us dressed in our black/gray camouflage, perhaps the clear colors just scream at us because it is so polar-opposite.

I mean, "Freddy's House" /Freddy Moran was never something I quite 'got'. You had to really be into the clear colors and mixed prints to love her stuff. I think I saw a picture of her house once and all I could think was, "I appreciate the unique style, but nothing I would ever think or want to do." Plain and simple-I guess brights are out of my comfort zone. It takes very little for me to call something 'color'.

Thinking back, I remember when I took my first cake decorating classes. There was one woman who always colored her icing BRIGHT; I mean garish-bright. Like Tammy Faye Baker eye-make-up bright. I could never understand how she could not realize that perhaps she needed to let up on the paste coloring a bit. Me? Just a tad bit of color did the trick for me-muted, subtle...that's how I liked it! Grayed-out colors are my love!

So about that other part of my homework...I'm not saying what this is, other than it's my knit project homework...
I hope it works out the way I'm planning for it to work out. I'll show more as it progresses...

And speaking of color...look what came in the mail yesterday...

My final Seven Deadly S(p)ins kit--LUST! I love this yarn! So maybe I'm not so into grays or muted afterall? I LOVE this red-but must admit that often too much red on me makes me feel too conspicuous. See? It goes back to my "City Camouflage" mentality! I must admit that I'm not much of a pink person, either. But why does this pink work for me? I think it is the cooler tone and the darker shade of pink. The green? Well...I already expressed how I love me some green! Just about any green, really. Least fav green? Probably Kelly Green. But this green is so gorgeous with the blue tones.

So see? My color study homework has been going on in my head all along!

5 comments:

cupcakefaerie said...

You are such the city girl!

I love all your color observations. Just a couple more days!

Tan said...

I love the colors in the Lust kit, but I don't think I could wear the . . . object. I might do a more traditional scarf with mine.

Unknown said...

I love the gray of the City. It's so pretty and uniquely SF.

Maria said...

I suspect you are right regarding your observations on color. I do know that the greyness was one of the things I liked least about SF. It was so depressing to always be enveloped in this cloud of grey. (Note that I lived at 19th just after 280 ended, and then at the top of the hill in Daly City, so you can't get much worse weather.) And I am a big fan of bright colors! I like to think I wear them in moderation. An all-black outfit with some bright red shoes, perhaps.

Rocky Moreno said...

I like the neutrals 8) I love that you wear your knitted socks out to work, it's fun to show them off.