Sunday, May 04, 2008

Camp will wait another day...

So let's keep stretching the whole camp thing out a bit, cuz otherwise this will be an even longer-mega-entry!

It seems like it's been so crazy busy around here, when really it probably hasn't been. But it feels like it and if not busier, my attention has been focused more on the house stuff and other things rather than my knitting.

I am happy to report that my Cedar Creeks, Pisgah version are done! Late Friday night, I realized that I was just about to the toe decrease and if I just kept at it, I could finish the last sock that night -right in time to wear for the Maker Faire (and show IrishGirlie and Nartian in person!) They are my 'keepers'!


Meanwhile, Nartian and I had hopped over to Bakesale Betty's again and ran into Adrienne. So naturally, we all found ourselves at Article Pract together. I had seen this pattern for the "Provence Baby Cardigan" that was shared in a ThreadBear newsletter. I decided I *had* to knit the sweater. Despite the fact that I probably have some yarn in my stash to make it with, I (of course) *had* to buy some Brown Sheep Company "Serendipity Tweed" yarn from Article Pract to knit it with! My justification being that the yarn was reasonably priced and my buying it would prevent me from buying an abundance of more expensive yarn-or more sock yarn!

So the other motivating factor for finishing the Cedar Creeks is the fact that I actually couldn't wait and CO this baby sweater before finishing the socks!



I have just about finished the back-just have to cast-off. Gads, baby clothes can be so fun to knit! I was telling Nartian that I had the need to start a non-sock project that I could finish resonably quick! Kinda like when I made the Tudora-something I could finish to have that feeling of accomplishment I often need inbetween the longer things. Well, longer because I don't focus on them!

So the Maker Faire was fun and I could see myself hanging out there all day long, if it weren't for the fact that SassyMan and Lil' Emp were with me. They weren't quite as enthused with the idea of staying 'til 10pm, which I swear I could've done!

I was glad I got to hang with IrishGirlie a good part of my time there and do the yarny-thing! We saw Stephanie (Yarn Harlot) and brought our Camp monkeys, Rosie and Louis (Lou-wee). Other knitters who were there seemed to 'get' it. Since Yarn Harlot was a draw for quite a number of knitters, I would assume they must have read about them on her blog. We were sad that Nartian was unable to join us afterall, since her Monkey2 was sick! So not only were we one knitter short, but Edward was unable to join Rosie and Louis, too!

I was at the very first Maker Faire, but was helping my brother out at his Bizarre Bazaar booth and didn't get around much, though it looked like something I'd want to check out more closely. Funny because actually (IrishGirlie!), I met two other knitters at that first Maker Faire! I met Jen, who now is working at ImagiKnit, and another woman who lives in the East Bay! So see? Knitters don't fall far from the fringe in the 'geek' category!-lol! So I missed last year's Maker Faire and it has absolutely gotten HUGE! GINORMOUS, even! Altered bikes,science mini-golf,


robots, spinners, sewers, inventors of all types!
Burning Man survivor-cupcakes!


Louis and Miss Rosie hung out one such cupcake, while Lil'Emperor hid within it. These cupcakes have motorbikes within them so they can be driven around-I *want* one of these!

Remember the game "Mousetrap"? There was even a gigantic re-make of it outside...


IrishGirlie had to keep Rosie and Louis safe from this...I think he wanted to make them his snack!
There actually was some yarn to satisfy the knitters who attended. Lion Brand had a whole display/booth/learn-to-knit area (you gotta admit their amigurumis are adorable!); ImagiKnit, Noe Knits, a couple of indie dyers and A Verb for Keeping Warm were participants this year at Bizarre Bazaar... Guess what? I didn't buy *any* yarn! But alas, I did snatch up a bit of roving from MaryJane's Attic. Kinda couldn't resist.

And a tired Lil' Emp when we headed out...


I swear I will continue with the Camp low-down next I post. I'm sure the interest in it has died down, but I will still do a replay so that I can re-live that wonderful time! Besides, all my photos still aren't added to Flickr and I have more photos to share!


5 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

The socks turned out great!! How cute is that baby sweater too!? I only have boy babies to knit for right now though!

Maker faire was lots of fun! Thank you! And yes, you resisted and didn't buy any yarn!! Good girl!

Anonymous said...

what fun that looks like! the socks are b.u.t.ful! and i agree, baby stuff is a great fix! i have to seam a dd sweater now, almost as much fun!
and we still care about camp...i am drooling over it for next year!!

Anonymous said...

i am anonymous above...

Unknown said...

I wish I could have joined you guys! Maybe next year.

Well done you for not buying. I bet it was really tempting though.

I make knitting deals with myself too. I can't start this until I finish that. Keeps me motivated even when it doesn't matter that much.

Maria said...

I wish I could have gone to the Maker Faire. I should have just forced myself. But I have a puppy now, and he's a lot of work, and I wanted to spend the day with him anyway.

Also, it's Jenn, with two 'n's. Not that she's here complaining. ~_^ And did I tell you to check out my blog? http://www.lazychick.net/lazywords