Monday, May 12, 2008

Just when you thought I was behaving...


Attention! The content of this entry has Seven Deadly S(p)ins #2 Spoiler content!!!

But first,
I have to confess to this purchase from Little Knits that just arrived in the mail!

FlyDyed Monarch in "Petrol", above...Nartian had told me she had heard the yarn is quite similar to STR. I have to admit that it is the first sock yarn I've found thusfar that is quite similar. It is labeled a '3-ply sportweight', but feels like its thickness is between STR lightweight and medium weight. STR heavyweight is supposed to be 'sportweight', so who knows? It is tightly twisted like STR. This 4.5 oz skein has 370 yards. OK, I just checked Blue Moon Fiber Arts and their lightweight is also put-up at 4.5 oz per skeins, and is listed at 360 yds, so this one is a tad thinner, it would seem...

And here is the second skein of yarn I purchased (and wasn't I good to only buy TWO skeins?!) This is Wool in the Woods Cherub in "Amethyst Fairy Forest". To me, it feels like a chubbier, sturdier, smooshy. Its put-up is 100g and has 400 yds. It's got fluff, but seems to have more 'sproing' than Dream in Color Smooshy. You see, I feel like Dream in Color Smooshy is soooo smooshy, that you have to really knit it tight to get a firm fabric. This Cherub seems to have loft, but seems to have more strength and thickness where it would create a firm fabric without my having to go down to 00 needles!
So this purchase was within my rules: I didn't have either of these types/brand yarns yet, so I got one! (I allow myself to purchase a skein of sock yarn if I don't own that type yet...)

And now for the SEVEN DEADLY SPINS #2!!! Sorry if I'm "spoiling" for someone, but at least I'm trying to warn ahead of time these days...

I am always impressed at how nicely things are packed, that I have to get a picture of it before I open everything up!

And here it is all opened! A washcloth/soapsack pattern with some Pima Petite cotton yarn! The colorway is 'Peace' and is a very calming blue. The washcloth has an adorable sheep design on it, and the sack is adorable, too! Let's see...a chocolate sheep, tea bags, a sheep stitch marker, honey-scented beeswax candle, bath salts, mini sheep soaps (my FAV of the swag!), "Peace" of Mind Milk and Honey soap bar! Man, are we spoiled or what?
The Seven Deadly S(p)ins group at Ravelry had some members expressing a bit of disappointment over this 'spin' on "Wrath" whereby the theme was "Peace", the flip side of Wrath. I can see their point in that they were expecting the kits to be a bit more 'edgy', but all I can say is I am THRILLED with this package! I would have gotten a kick out of something more evil, but I think the creativity in turnig the Wrath into Peace is fun and the kit fit the bill perfectly! I'm kind of relieved to see a washcloth pattern, since sometimes I need a small, quick project to kick me into gear. With this kit, I can see myself not having the guilt I sometimes do when I get my sock kits and know there is no way I'll be getting the kit done anytime soon. And besides that, the sheep design on the washcloth is stinkin' cute!-the kinda design I would have picked out myself (vs. some of the ones that are less detailed and a bit more kitchy...) I don't know, maybe someone else would find this kitchy, but I think it looks great!

2 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow!! So much yarny goodness!! I love Jen's packages (that WOolgirl rocks!!). I resisted the Spins and I'm living vicariously through you!

Okay, and that little sock rule of buy it if you haven't tried it...hehehhe.. I definately bought into that last year, but now the stash overgroweth!! Plus, I seem to only want to buy STR lately (okay, and that Casbah if Purlescence had more colors...the Loopy Ewe does though, and more Duet Sock yarn...ugh!!). Anyways, I'm just glad you didn't post linky-links for those pretty yarns!

Oh, and since "sock camp" post didn't allow comments, all I can say is I still feel like the luckiest girl to have gone to camp! I did clap a lot when I was there!! I can't help it!! It was that AWESOME!! Love!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous yarn! You were VERY disciplined to only buy 2 skeins. Well done!