Sunday, August 10, 2008

When Duty Calls, I Answer!

And that's why I ended up casting on yet another pair of socks! But look how awesome my Socks that Rock Blarney Stone is knitting up?!

This is the Sunshine Socks pattern from SockPixie that a friend of mine had done using a skein of STR in Purple Rain that I had given her as a consolation for the fact she had knit her brand new Shabui (a gorgeous CherryBlossom colorway-pink with flashes of lime green!) into Monkeys that only a small child would fit! And well...she has three boys! Three boys who are not of the petite variety!

Anyways, she knit this Sunshine Socks pattern up and the socks turned out gorgeous! Our other friend decided she would try out the pattern and found herself getting 5 remaining stitches from the original 70 stitch CO! So, being the helpful knitting pal I am, I told her I'd take a look at the pattern.

I looked. I counted. I didn't get it! Not even messing with it on an already in-progress sock! What was I to do? Only what any good Knitter would: I cast on so I could figure it out! And proceeded to get 2 remaining stitches after the first round! HUH??????????

So I even get KnittingGolfer Marcy to look at it, while at the same time getting on the 'hot line' to my Purple Rain knitting bud to review what I obviously must be getting wrong! Well...turns out there was nothing wrong with the pattern or with our interpretation! It was actually something I had kinda suspected from the get-go: we are more used of knitting with patterns whereas Purple Rain Knitter learned by doing under the supervision of her knitting aunt without patterns. Naturally, PRN followed the pattern, no problem, since she was actually FOLLOWING the pattern! We, on the other hand, probably leaped over a K2 or a P1 here and there resulting in the extra stitches at the end!

Long story longer, this is a great pattern! Especially for our lovely hand-dyed yarns. Just be veeerrry careful when running the first row-those K2's after K2tog with P1's scattered throughout can throw some of us more confident, (or shall I say, reckless-?) knitters! But really, once it gets going, it is awesome! and looks great!

And before allowing that to distract me from my housework and other knitting projects, I actually have an FO!

The pic is a bit bleached out, but this is my newly ungrafted, length extended, grafted back, end-woven-in and completed Ruffled Roses scarf! When I saw this scarf at Annie Modesitt's site, I thought it was so clever! She offers it to LYS for free* to encourage knitters to visit their LYS. I immediately contacted Allison at ImagiKnit and asked her to request it. Bought the yarn, did a pretty good job (cuz well, I can often not be very good at focus...) focusing on this project and finished it. Only to find it was a bit too short; well, actually, it was a bit strangling around the neck, to tell you the truth! Could I live with it? As much as I wanted to just 'live with it', I couldn't. Not if I valued my ability to breath! So it sat. And sat. And sat...Because face it-and I think you all know what I'm talking about!-when you feel like 'knitting', you feel like 'knitting' and this was not going to be 'knitting'. At least, not until I got the grafting undone-oh yeah, and did I mention that the ends had also already been woven in? Bottom line: the yardage of the two green skeins of yarn were obviously NOT enough for my fat neck-even having done an extra lace repeat of the reddish/brown color at the base! You could either: a) do as it says, if you have a slender neck or knit tighter, b) decrease the ribbing after the lace portion or c) buy extra yarn! d) utilize the proportions of colored yarns differently to avoid the 4th Misti Alpaca yarn skein purchase...

So there I sat last week with Nartian while we both enjoyed each other's company while performing 'knitting-related' drudgery tasks! She, seaming Monkey 1's fingering weight sweater; me, un-grafting, resetting stitches and lengthening the scarf! We were in hell, but we were together! And now our tasks are complete!

I kept my focus on the Central Air sock and the Mystic Light no-longer-KAL shawl (the one person on the Rav board I thought would be KAL with me had her KALs mixed up and is actually working on her MS3! But that's how I ended up joining MS4!-lol!) We may yet KAL together on the Mystic Light, afterall, I am that slow...yeah...more like CAL (crawl-a-long!)

I am happy to report that I have finished Clue 2 and have started Clue 3. And as much as I knew it was too good to be true and had pictures to lead me to conclude otherwise, I had been thinking there were only THREE clues!-HA! Who was I kidding? There are FIVE, People! FIVE CLUES! So I gues that maybe makes me at least 1/3 through?

When I finish Clue 3, I'll flash a new pic, cuz it isn't looking much different from the last pic at this point. But if you looked at the link above, it shows how the finished shawl is supposed to look. Let's hope I can be as good as Adrienne and finish it!

(*PS-Nartian told me there was some buzz about this pattern on Ravelry-seems some LYS had the nerve to sell this pattern to someone! Don't buy it-it is supposed to be offered for free through your LYS! They may require purchase, but they may not charge for it! Can you believe that?!)

4 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Pretty Blarney Stone!!! You are such a good friend, casting on more socks! I bet they had to twist your arm...hehehehe!!

Pretty scarf too!! Miss you!

Neuroknitter said...

Hi Leslie! Yep, 'tis I at weheartyarn! I'm glad you came by to visit! Come back anytime :)

Isn't Smitten Kitchen fun? So glad you found Nora, too!

I'm going to have to check out the Sunshine Socks...Love the Blarney Stone. Your Ruffled Roses scarf is tres cool!

Happy knitting!

Tan said...

That scarf is so cute. I am contacting all my favorite LYS to get it.

Unknown said...

You're a busy, busy bee!