Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Choices, and the possibility of a lone lace KAL!

I swatched the "The Knittery" Merino Lace Moonlight colorway for the Mystery Stole 4 KAL. Rather, I started to swatch. Here is how it looks thusfar, after 1 1/2 pattern repeats:



I'm thinking it is too variegated for this project! I will continue the rest of the repeats for the swatch, then block it for a final verdict.

In the meantime, I've been pondering what to do:

1) Not do the MS4 right away, thus postponing the yarn purchase (cost-$0.00)
2) Buy a second skein of this lace yarn I pulled from my stash (cost-~$15.00)
3) Buy enough lace yarn for this project from The Loopy Ewe with my $25 gift certificate (cost-~$50 less the $25 certificate+shipping=~$30)
4) Same as idea 3, only purchasing at Article Pract with a $30 gift certificate (cost ~$20.)
5) Shop for some cool new lace yarn (like perhaps 4 skeins of this?!) from somewhere (cost-$45-50)
6) Buy some BARE from Knitpicks and dye it myself (cost-$15 w/shipping)
7) Buy some undyed lace yarn at Dharma Trading Co. (cost-not sure, but I think they have some around $30; add gas and bridge toll of $5!)

As you can see, only option 1 is a zero cost proposition. Option 2 won't be more than $15 (I think they run $12 but the price could have gone up...). BUT...this assumes they have said yarn. And another thing to consider-no shipping and I could probably postpone the purchase until next month. And then, there is the risk that the dye lots may not be the same even if they DO have said yarn...Options 3 & 4 also assume that the said stores actually HAVE a lace yarn that will meet my requirements (light, non-variegated). Options 6 & 7 will take extra time to dye, but I know I can make a solid/semi-solid yarn that should work.

So my more practical, disciplined, knitting pal says, 'DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T BUY MORE YARN!!!'' (Yeah, definitely not of the same Knitter Species as many others of us are!) What can I say? She is much more practical-minded with her purchasing and she's not what I consider 'frugal'; just not the compulsive/emotional yarn purchaser I am...

So for now, I will endeavor to finish the MS4 swatch, then I'll post it and poll the rest of you for your input!!! As always, feel free to comment at any time-no need to wait for the big Swatch Post!

4 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

decisions are the worst! hmmmm...if you are really trying to not buy yarn, then I am going to suggest trying to not buy yarn too! However, I do think you want to use a yarn that you will love and encourage you to finish whichever project you chose. So, if that means spending $15/20 go for it. If it means getting all new yarn, then see if you could hold off on the project.

Or as my sister would say, vow to finish somethings on the needles, and then you can purchase the yarn. Or destash one of the emotional purchases :)

As I said earlier, decisions are the worst!

Judy K. said...

DON'T DO IT, Les! I say start a new project with yarn that you already have in your stash. (And now we all know that this is quite the stash...wink!)

cupcakefaerie said...

I'm dizzy. I won't make any suggestions because I am not of the "practical-minded" variety. But you should know that I like the swatch so far. I'll be interested to see how the swatch looks after a few more rows.

Unknown said...

That's too many choices! But I agree with irishgirlie, use yarn you love. That's key to enjoying the project.