Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Is it WIP Wednesday?!

I usually don't acknowledge WIP Wednesday, and wouldn't you know it-I'm posting on a Wednesday and even remember it is WIP Wednesday, but instead, I show you this...


I guess this is technically a "WIP", since the ends aren't woven in yet! Both finished last night: Dashing Mitts, v 2.2 for my bro. I felt so smart because when Purlescence didn't have BMFA Twisted in "Shadow", I realized that-DUH!-I could purchase a skein of Socks that Rock lightweight in "Shadow" and use it doubled! Oh, what a Brain Child am I!-lol!

I modified it to make it a bit larger by casting on an additional 4 stitches and adding a P3 rib (vs. P1 or P2 between K4 P1 K4 ribbing, as per pattern) This was such a great knit and so much better than the crap wool/acrylic yarn I had originally started with! But let me tell you, I used every inch of yardage! The tail on one was a bit long (like maybe 14"), but I shortened the thumbs to 8 vs. 9 rows before BO; worked one thumb, bound off, then (in case there wasn't enough yarn), I worked the other thumb from the other end of the tiny ball of yarn. In the end, I had maybe 3" of yarn running between the 2 thumbs! Needless to say, I will be weaving in ridiculously short (and not recommended) ends into the thumbs. The other tails are long enough and also need to be woven in before I can officially call these finished!

Now, as for all you fellow STR fans: I was over at Cockeyed's blog and lookie what I saw...
Go ahead, click on the pic and blow it up bigger! I DARE you! Yeah, made me salivate...a LOT! Torture, I tell you! All that STR in one place! Better than those "Blue Moon Fiber Arts Order-In!" posts that we live for! If this is an indication of what Stitches West is going to be like, I am soooo in trouble!

So I finally frogged the Secret of the Stole II back to the end of Clue 1 and am now around 10 rows into Clue 2. No picture because it really won't look much different than what I've previously posted!

I'm plugging along on Dashings, v. 3.0 out of KnitPicks "Shamrock" which, BTW, has a wonderfully soft feel to it! I also picked up my lovely Serendipity and worked a bit on that today. Still on the cuff portion. I took today off to chaperone Lil Emp's class on a field trip to the SF Ballet. They will be having ballet classes through the SF Ballet, so there was a ballet lecture/demo and performance for the kids. I knit a bit on the Dashings; the lighting made it a bit difficult to know how many rows I had knit before needing to cable again, so once I got to the point where I thought a cable should go, I stopped and put it away.

So for WIP Wednesday, I gave you an update on some of the WIPs at the forefront of my 'to knit' list! The Secret Project is underway, but no details to share at this time.

Yeah, I get the 'blankie over babies' thing, but what I wasn't getting was-why over their faces?

So I didn't buy any Funky Carolina fibers-probably because they all flew out the door before I could even view them! I think that I cannot ever try and buy any. Ever. The difficulty in getting it would make me want some that much more! So no Funky Carolina and no new yarn purchases! And no knitting-related purchases! And absolutely NOT getting this!

Now to plot out Stitches West: spindle? yarn? both? how much? what should be the limit?...I just found a Christmas check from the parental units...save it for camp where I'll really need it, or portion part of it for SW? Decisions, decisions!

4 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh, I may need to just stop reading blogs...hehehe. Or stop clicking links. I literally had that woolgirl yarn in my basket the other night. The basket I filled up, and then emptied! I am weak.....so many pretty yarns.

I say split the Christmas money between SW and camp. I remember last year at Stitches they were so low on STR mediumweight that it was a bit disappointing...I doubt they will have that problem this year. I have a feeling it will be overwhelming like Oregon Flock and Fiber (but very very crowded!!).

And I love the Dashing with the STR! Great idea!!

Toby said...

I agree with irishgirlieknits - I shouldn't click those links! I didn't buy any yarn in January, but I've come very close a half dozen times this month already.

Faced with a wall of STR in person and a crowd of people behind me, I don't think I could stand the pressure to choose!

Unknown said...

OMG- I had to wipe the drool off my computer once I saw that picture!

I'm trying to make a plan for SW. I've never been so deciding might be tough. Also, once we're there, will we stick to the plan?

tapmouse said...

Yeah, Ladies-it's all about conviction! (Which I seem to lack!) and yeah...the drooling and elevated heart rate from that pic, huh?!-lol!