Thursday, June 28, 2007

Some things just take time...




You have to know about the long road taken to knit these to appreciate them...Luckily, these were still a 'quick' knit and if they weren't, I probably would not have gone through this triple knitting exercise.




These are a pair of socks I finally finished for a little girl wanting "socks with no seams." Like I said before, a little kid says they want socks, says they'll wear them? I'm there!




So I don't do the recommended 'shop from my stash', as I think I had earlier explained. I knit one sock-the dastardly hole at the heel-flap rears its head-(is this a Cascade Fixation thing? It's my first time knitting socks with the stuff and so far, I'm a bit wary...). I push through the first sock anyway and start the second. I match up the cuffs, knit, match up the length, knit to the toes, kitchener up , weave in ends and SNIP that yarn! Yes, after closer investigation, I realize the two do NOT match up and the shorter length of the second looks quite obvious.




Well lucky me-I had purchased a second ball and one ball was enough for the pair! So I had committed the leftover yarn to my co-worker friend so that she could knit a pair for her grandaughter. Rather than tearing back another sock, I knit a third sock that -yes!- seems to match quite well. I gave the mismatched sock to my friend and now she only has to knit one sock. But she has to match it to mine! >;P
I know, I'm a big baby because I didn't have to frog a thing and I only had to knit one extra sock that is practically mini and done on a big gauge. I'm just bummed I wasn't more careful and that what I had hoped to whip out in a week, actually dragged out to 3 weeks.






So that's my story and I'm posting pics to prove I knit 3. They are small and they are DK weight, so it could be worse-like Nartian's ripping out a whole sock in smaller gauge! And no, I didn't play with my PhotoElements to fool ya'll...the striping is different in all three socks and it would have taken my inexperienced self waaaay longer to change the striping in the pics to fool you than to knit the third sock!-HA!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, it was only half a Lorna's Laces sock I ripped! Okay, so when I get around to it, the first Twisted Flower will be ripped.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about knitting, but I DO know that my daughter absolutely ADORES the (two) wonderful socks with no seams!!! They're beautiful. Thanks, Leslie!!!