Monday, September 25, 2006

Yeah! More new sock yarn!

What would life be like without new sock yarns to try? I have purchased patterns from Northern Sunshine Designs, and now they are carrying Apple Laine yarn! Had to try, no? This is a wool, silk, mohair (uck-I can't breath the stuff in normally...), nylon blend. I purchased 4 skeins-enough for 2 pairs of socks! This is the Arizona colorway and I'm knitting them using the "Carnations and Cranberries" pattern. So far, I'm quite happy with the way this yarn knits up and the soft feel and the sheen of it!

The bad side: (now, I know knots happen in skeins...) BUT...one of my 2 skeins had a knot almost 1/2 way through...then about another 15 yards down, a splice! The splice seems strong enough, but has a bit of a 'shaggy' edge to it. I'm still contemplating the course of action to take. Probably will cut the splice out and join the two broken ends.

The other skein has no knots, but I so far have (twice since starting this pair) come a cross some slightly thicker portions that feel suspiciously like really good splices...I kept knitting and am confident they will stay and that I don't need to cut and splice on my own. So basically, I like this yarn and the colors, but will have to see how the other two skeins are and decide what my final verdict is regarding whether I'd buy more...

Apple Laine Arizona-edited
Sometimes it's easier just to throw the stuff onto a scanner bed; amazing the pics you can get just scanning vs. using a digital camera! I adjusted the color a tad; in real-life, the yarn color is a bit lighter than how it comes out as shown in the background sock...but then again, "it all depends on your individual computer monitor, blah, blah, blah..."

No comments: