Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Big Froggin' Dilemma

So I think I shared the beginnings of my Secret of the Stole II-all 12 rows or so...Well here is "Clue 1" (54 rows total), knit to row 44. Lovely, so I thought...Not the most consistent yarn overs, not the most even stitching, but I was still pretty happy to have gotten that far without incident.
Nartian had been tied up working on her Twist and is seaming it. Me? I still hadn't started it and decided to abandon the immediate intention of a Twist until a later time. How much later, I'm not sure, but I knew I needed to get my A** in gear if I wanted to keep up with this SSII endeavor!

Well, I finally see that Nartian has started her Clue 1. She takes a look at my progress and helps me to realize that-in her subtle and most diplomatic way so as not to make me feel I was being a dumb-a**-I misread the pattern! Now how the heck did THAT happen? So she and I discuss how this looks and I decide (and she agrees) that I could probably leave it as it, but just have to remember to do the same thing at the other end. Yeah! Good plan! That's what I'll do-it's cool...

I call her later in the day-what led me to conclude that the row labled '1' on the chart was the row 7 we were to start with after doing our 6 knit rows? I assure her I'm over it, but I can't stop obsessing over how I could have been nutsey enough to have figured out this re-design! I go to Ravelry and find...someone else made the same, exact mistake! And guess what? At least I felt better and not so alone in my 'unique' interpretation of the instructions!

Perhaps you can see a bit better here:
See the stockinette portion following the garter stitch foundation? Yeah-shouldn't be there! It's now or never with the froggin', ya know? I think I decided that I will start knitting Clue 1 again and see how far I get before the 2nd clue is posted. Not like I don't have other items to devote my knitting time to! But you know what? It may end up bugging me, so I need to know if I can live with this or not!

Admitedly, I must confess that the true turning point came for me when my newbie knitter friend looked at the error and proceeded to ask, "So is that why it's turning up like that, there?" (looking at the flopped over edge. the edge which folded right where the Stockinette portion lay. Which then got me thinking and pondering..."will this stay in place after it is blocked or will it forever be flipping in and needing adjusting?" Someone on my list assured me that it will block out, yet I have my reservations. I believe it truly will flatten after it is blocked, but will it STAY flat? Will it easily flap back in?

OK, if you made it this far in my post, LMK what you think!

A little more evidence of completed projects...slippers that I finished in the Summer-took forever to put the second button on and still haven't mailed it out yet!

Some yarn I handspun, knit into a tiny stocking with a little note of inspiration for a WW pal. I hope it encourages her...This is actually one of my very first completed project knit from my own homespun yarn! (The other being a slightly larger mini-sock that I gave to a buddy to adorn her tree...)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally I would frog it and do it over. It's only the first clue, there's time to fix it. Also, you will know it's there, and that little bit of stockinette may always give that edging a bit of a curl. If it were me it would niggle at me until I made it better. Best to do it now while it's only the one clue. Just the opinion of one perfectionist. :-)

Anonymous said...

That's an aweful lot of hmming and hawing. From all that I know about you, it is my guess that you are going to take your pondering to the pond. It doesn't seem like you'll be happy if you have to constantly readjust somehting you are so excited about. Besides, why should you "just live with it?" You can make up for lost time in no time at all. Then, if you hvae to catch up a little, you'll have no sitting time between clues.

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on you. You *can* block it so that it stays flat, but will you like it? If it's bothering you that much, you should probably frog NOW, rather than later (when you've got more of the stole done). If it doesn't bother you, leave it. It's a sad thing to have to frog that much work.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

First, those little socks are too cute!

Second, for me, if I realize a mistake and immediately say, "Oh well" and keep knitting, I don't worry about it. But if I go back and forth and back and forth, I think its my way of saying I better fix it (or from my experience, it stays in UFO land or even worse, once finished I never wear it!). Good luck though :)

Let's just say you made a really nice swatch!

Unknown said...

Frog it. You'll always think about it otherwise!

Cute little sock!

Anonymous said...

Rip it!

You'll be happier in the end. Also, you get the joy of knitting it TWICE!

(No, that inspiration never works for me, either.)

adrienne said...

FROG IT!!!!!!

it's only clue one. you cannot live with the mistake. it will haunt you for the rest of your life (or at least every time you look at or wear the shawl). it'll only hurt a little bit.

FROG POND TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!