Sunday, January 24, 2010

Progress in the New Year...


My four skeins of Rare Gems-all medium weight...2 Earth, 1 Fire, 1 Water.





Even though I had UFO Smackdown plans, I could not resist the call of a new head cover.  It was quick and I finished it, so I feel justified in satisfying my desire for another slouchy beret!  Besides, that lovely Malabrigo worsted Nartian gifted me for Chirstmas was calling out...the softness, the smoothness, the loft that could easily be made into a hat in a short amount of time...so I made the Baroness Beret!



I loaded pics ahead of time, but since have almost completed to Baby Yours I have been working on.  The seams killed me.  I've taken a few knitting classes, each covering seaming, but when you really don't seam often and are a bit impatient to finish something, as I was, it really holds no pleasure.  And, of course, the results reflected this.  I'll share a finished object pic when I get a chance.  It is laying out, seamed and blocked, waiting for buttons.


And I might as well show you a not-so-recent acquisition...
  
I had ordered "Estuary" from Three Irish Girls back in August at Sock Summit and waited patiently for it, soon forgetting all about it!  When I contacted Sarah, she said it would be out in 2 weeks.  I again forgot about it and didn't get a chance to pursue it until last month.  Apparently she had been unable to contact me via email and once she got my address, sent it on it's way.  I LOVE this colorway!

My final UFO Smackdown of January was my second Kew that had been languishing for oh, maybe 3 years!  They started as a mini-KAL with Nartian; she was knitting hers with Nodding Violets and I, with one of the chicken colorways (Rooster Rock?).  Naturally, Socks that Rock!  Of course, Nartian zipped along and completed hers in a timely manner.  I chugged slowly along and completed one sock that sat forever.  I cast on for the second and it sat, 1 inch past its cuff for ages.  I decided to make it one of my first orders of business for January's UFO Smackdown, along with Solly's sweater and Baby Yours.  So far, still have to move on the Solly sweater which had its own set-back when I lost the sleeves!



Still working on my February Lady Sweater which I hope to complete in time for Stitches West!  So far, so good.  Just need to keep the focus mojo going!

6 comments:

dianne said...

Your rare gems are beautiful! So is your beret. Sometimes you just need to crank out something quick and gratifying so the UFO's don't feel as tedious!

Anonymous said...

nice job! impressive focus!
that estuary is really gorgeous!
and the rare gems, of course, beautious!!!
thanks for posting...

cupcakefaerie said...

Such gorgeous rare gems! And I'm even loving the blue. :)

Your needles are flying. Knit on!

Spinny Bunt said...

Love the beret! And good job finishing all that stuff! Woohoo!

Unknown said...

Did you block before seaming or block after? Perhaps next time block before?

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Rare Gems: Oh, Water, how I love thee...