Sunday, July 20, 2008

Intrigues and Freaks me out at the same time...

which is whiy I had to jump on and blog about this!


From what I understand, this is a hornet's nest. That's what my mom said. I searched and it says 'wasp'. Everything I looked up differentiates between honeybees and wasps, but are wasps the same as hornets?

Anyways, this is attached to the fire escape landing on the building next door to ours. Very interesting to look at the papery layers and watch the wasps(?) exit and enter and at the same time it freaks me out! Eeeew...right next door. And I live in the City, where 'next door' is literally next-door. Like feet away.

And for a minor bit of knitting content: I had to rip the Joe Cool socks back! My child is growing so fast that I had a skewed image of how small his foot really is, and it ain't all that small! At least not to go down from 48 to 36 stitches. I could have gone with the 42 stitch count compromise, but I figured I'll go looser and see. Hey-we all frog our socks every now and then, and even a 48 stitch count sock is mild compared to the 72 stitch ones, right?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes!!! Be careful!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yeah, that just freaks me out!

Rocky said...

Freaky! You should really contact your local Fish & Game, I think they handle hornets, wasps, etc. That is an accident waiting to happen. I've learned to live with the scary things, but in that large amount in a small city setting, geez, freak me out!

Oooh.. I got my Joe Cool kit too! I started using one of the kit gifts too...

cupcakefaerie said...

Ooh, that is a little freaky, but kinda cool too (notice that I can write this since I don't have the proximity to it that you do). But hey, could be inspiration for a new STR colorway!

Judy K. said...

You brave woman you!

Anonymous said...

Rocky is kind of right about getting someone to get rid of the hornet's nest. Actually the SPCA may be the ones...Being the City it must be done politically correct :) Be careful! Yeah, kids grow and fast - guess you gotta recast on the sock! Terry

Anonymous said...

I made socks for Billy with 48 stitchs on size 1. They fit pretty well. She's 5 and wears a size 11 shoe.

Good luck.

Wool Girl said...

Oh no! We had one of those in a house we lived in a few years ago...they are so scary looking, aren't they? It's amazing to me that bees/wasps can create such an amazing thing...
Bee careful (no pun intended!) :)

Jeanne said...

Holey crap, that's huge! Yes, call someone and get rid of it pronto! Hornets aren't nice. There were a bunch of them down at my grandma's house--INSIDE--and they were aggressive, scary, territorial things that had no qualms about letting you know whose house it was (not ours).