Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Innocent Findings

Sometimes when you go to get a Fried Chicken Sandwhich fix, you can stumble upon some glorious findings! I mean, how can a knitter NOT pop in to Article Pract on such an excursion? And in seeking out rewards for those who are willing to be co-conspirators in mystery projects you conjure up, how can one NOT check out a mystery store with no store-front facing the street; simply an alluring sign with such words that include 'chocolate'?

And so, Nartian and I stumbled upon these lovelies...


Awesome, no? And here, some up-close shots (yeah, I'm not the greatest photographer, but you get the idea...)

And no, your eyes did not deceive you. No, the media is not getting to you. Yes, these are Obama chocolates! How could I resist? I only wished they had some Hilary ones, too-then I could've gotten two of each!-lol! Then it could be a 'you pick'. But sorry, folks, I just have no interest in any McCain chocolates...


This past week has felt crazy to me. Ten days since Stitches West and it seems so far away...probably because I had worked out the afternoon before SW (a weights class, nonetheless, when I hadn't done weights in I don't even know how long...) and my back was definitely feeling it. I felt like I was going to pull a muscle any minute! So by the end of the day, I was exhausted, my back spasming (is that a word?), I was starting to feel headachy, and my throat was feeling scratchy. Perhaps the cold I thought I had the week before had never really gone away?...So I was basically a big baby, sleeping in and laying around the rest of the weekend.

However, Sunday afternoon, SassyMan (SO and father of Lil' Emp) tells me he has called the hospital for an appointment. He later learns that they are soon closing and will see him the next day at 4pm. He was in so much pain that he had no intention of waiting that long and needed to go to the Emergency room. So I spent that evening with him overnight at the hospital. Luckily, it was minor surgery, but did require he be put under and stay the night. No sleep for me that evening! So basically, I was dead to Blogland for a week-very little time or energy to be on-line for very long!

OK, so my Stitches West haul will probably not be flashed at once. I really think it would be overstimulating for all.

Instead, let me backtrack to the President's Day holiday, a mere four days prior to SW. My friend decides she wants to go to a yarn shop and get some 'good' yarn. Don't I want to go? NO! I don't want to go! (Too tempting!) Of course I go, though. And I walk out of there with this...
Actually, this is only a partial pic, since I actually purchased FOUR skeins of the Malabrigo Chunky (in one of my fav colorways-Stonechat!). And I couldn't resist the Plymouth "Happy Feet" at a mere $6.50 per skein!

But it was a fun trip which included a brief reunion with Stephen (HizKnits) and I got to meet his friend, Tammy (PunkRawkPurl). You would know her by the "K-N-I-T" and "P-U-R-L" she has tatooed to her fingers! I knew I'd seen her before because I recognized the hands! Turns out she works over at Article Pract once a week! (Yeah, and she just *happened* to be there today!)

So from this little appetizer to Stitches West, I have now started a store-model hooded scarf (yeah, nothing like store samples to further entice a purchase of four skeins of Chunky Malabrigo!). It's looking like this, so far, and I must say that for this scarf, I have hope of completion! Chunky, mindless knitting of no more than 416 yds? I can do it!



And, as always, I got distracted from other focus knitting (yeah, like my Serendipity socks, one of which is complete...) and produced this single sock (the Two-Yarn Resoleable Socks from the Favorite Socks book)...


Knit from Heavyweight STR of course!

Lastly, you think I only got fried chicken sandwhiches and chocolates today? Of course not! I absolutely couldn't pass up this worsted weight Malabrigo-it is Malabrigo March, afterall! And besides, I got a lace sample at SW in this colorway that I so loved ("China")-I knew I loved this colorway and Nartian reminded me it was the same as the lace sample we had received!
So this came home with me and I was so excited about it, I hand-wound it!
Funny...when it is a single skein of 220 yards of soft-to-the-touch yarn in a luscious color, it is actually quite enticing to hand wind it! I also hand-wound the other 3 balls of my Chunk Malabrigo this evening!

PHEW! Yeah, it's been a long time between posts and it shows, huh?! Maybe I'll share a bit of SW love with you guys next post!

9 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Phew...that was a long post!! Missed you though!! Hope you and SassyMan are feeling better though!

Okay, now on to the knitting! As soon as I saw the chocolates I knew you'd been to Article Pract (Christina sent that to me in my summer swap package and the chocolate was to die for!!). And I've been to the bakery a few times (dad loves loves loves the scones, we stock up and freeze them) but never tried the fried chicken sandwich. Maybe when we schedule our East Bay Meet Up...wouldn't that be a perfect Saturday!

Love the Malabrigo scarf. Was that on display at Stitches? I think I saw it there and thought too cute! I agree. Malabrigo March purchases shouldn't count.

And wait, are we supposed to share our Stitches haul all at once? Cause umm....not going to happen. hehehe. What happens at stitches stays at stitches. I mean, Disco and I hit BMFA three days in a row!! Seriously overload!!

Hugs!! xoxo Carrie

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh, love the sock. It needs a mate though. In heavyweight, that shouldn't be too hard. Come on. Set a goal before Sock Camp, because you know you are just going to cast on more there (and sadly, I won't be there to help monitor!).

Tan said...

Stonechat! Stonechat! Stonechat! Yay!

I just ordered Malabrigo lace in Stonechat from TLE and it's gorgeous.

And yay for political chocolates. Only I can't believe they already called the Democrat race; I think Hillary still has a chance. They got McCain right, though, according to last night's TV.

Unknown said...

The funniest bit with the chocolate was when you asked for Hilary you got the reply, "We have Oprah."

tapmouse said...

Yeah, but then I had to remind them that Oprah is the same as Obama, so it wouldn't be as fun as having the Hilary Choclate to mix the box up a bit!

Maria said...

I've been waiting for your Stitches report! GAH! Now I have to wait even longer. That store sample you mention sounds a lot like the one we had at the ImagiKnit booth... ~_^

I managed to buy only Fleece Artist and a little roving at Stitches. But then, I AM unemployed, so that's like a normal person spending much much more money. Right? LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so lucky! I wish I could have gone to SW. But of course, I just ended up doing homework.

On the plus side, I did hit the Hilltop Fire Sale the next weekend, and came away with some BSA Royal. AND I'll get to see the Malabrigo Sock yarn next week anyway, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't get to SW. :D

Anonymous said...

can't wait for the rest of the reveal!! the colors are gorgeous and the chocolates a riot.
hope all are feeling better!!!!

Unknown said...

Your yarn is just as delicious as those Fried Chicken sandwiches! YUMMY!