Saturday, December 15, 2007

Recurring theme?...

I just loaded a few pics up at Flickr. In so doing, I noticed that the first one showing was a Purlescence bag with my stash enhancement of pencil roving, yarn...you know-all that good stuff we loves!

Remember this?


So in loading this, it was kind of a deja vu!
Am I crazy or what? Not so unique a composition, huh?

I was good and I was bad. I ended up with 2 Ravens: Grawk and Rauen. The Rauen is for a pair of socks for a friend. I think she and I had decided on a different one, but based on how Rauen looked, I decided she would prefer it over the Valkyrie (I think that is the name!).

From the first moment I laid eyes on the new Ravens pictures, I thought immediately that I'd want Grawk. Then it fell to the bottom of my preferences, since I thought I wanted less variance of colors. I was all over the board on which I wanted! So in the long-run, I just couldn't resist all that pond-scumminess and succombed to Grawk. There was no medium weight, which is good for me, since I would have otherwise purchased 2 skeins of Korpii in medium weight in addition to the others.

So the 2 Ravens was the planned purchases. I decided that the additional Rooster Rock was really not the same as my last Rooster Rock, since this one is dyed up so much differently. I am amazed at how the pinks aren't showing up in the Ravens pics I took. This particular Rooster Rock, (unlike my last skein) has a bright, deep pink in it. I think that with my first skein, the deep pink presented as a deep burgundy color. So amazing the difference! So buying another Rooster Rock really isn't a repeat purchase, since it truly is different.

But I was really only supposed to get the 2 Ravens, so I was going to put back 2 of the 4 skeins of STR I had grabbed up. I put back one. I decided that I did stick to my plan-2 Ravens! The Rooster Rock didn't count-it was a single skein just for me! (As if the Grawk didn't count in the 'treating myself' category!)

And about the roving...you see, there was a Fiber Fiend trunk show and there was all this gorgeous hand-spun fiber, hand-dyed rovings, patterns, samples...and well, I decided that I needed to go home with a bit of the roving-especially after finding this colorway!

What was I to do? When I grabbed up a braid of roving, someone said something like, "Oh! and you spin, too?!" I said, "Well, sorta. Enough to have to get this roving!"

I also got a Fiber Fiend sock pattern, too; then after walking out of the shop, pondered whether I had purchased it already! I know I had contemplated such when I saw it on-line! I still don't know since I haven't checked. Yeah, I'm that bad...

So what else is new...? Well, I took a (long) break just now and spun my new roving. Thought I'd show a sample of what it looks like along with my newly acquired Rum Butterscotch sauce! Yes, yarn wasn't all I bought today, and yes, I indulged on myself yet again!
I also wound this handspun into skeins...I'm thinking I won't ply and will use the singles for a shawl, perhaps? Kinda looks like real yarn you might buy, huh?

For those of you wanting to see better Ravens pics, this it the best I could do:


Grawk, opened to show the "pond scum" and "raspberries" colors
Rauen-black with reddish-brown

Lastly, the swatch that won't! Look how long this is. I'm so over it and have almost used up the whole skein! Long story, but basically, I am still trying to get just the right gauge so I can wash it and see if it will grow to the required 19 stitches over 10cm. I even bought a new Addi needle to use! But it is a lace needle and has a bit more grab than the regular Addis.


Funny about how the comments turned towards "Dashing", which is the next pair I was planning to do after the second Fetchings. However, Dashing may not actually come to fruition til the end of the new year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it when you shop! I get to live vicariously! Great choices.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

So Celia when Thursday, I went Friday, did you go Saturday? How funnY!!

I was good on the STR front...just got Valkyrie! Of course, as always happens with your blog, I'm questioning that choice (not really, but kinda). The two you picked are gorgeous too! Not so good on the twisted front...got two skeins in Thraven for a something something :) Yay!! Love it!!

The fiber....beautifuL!!!!!!

Tan said...

Wow, I don't know anyone besides you who is as big an STR addict as I am. Beautiful stuff. And you got to see it and shop.

Thanks for you comments on my Eowyn/Aeowyn Christmas stocking. I was too lazy to look for your email addy.