Friday, December 14, 2007

One gift down!

I'm no longer a Fetching Virgin! I finished my first pair today-just in time to gift to my son's teacher! I've always wanted to make these, only other projects continued to take precedence. I can't believe how quick a knit these are and am so glad I figured out that I needed to make these for a gift!

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you-one is more tightly knit than the other. I had time to un-do the too-loose binding, but not to re-do the whole other mitt! The picot bind-off is pretty loose and I was kinda not completely sold on it, but left it anyways. Well, I had been talking to Nartian about these and she told me that she had the same issues with the picot bind-off flaring. That's why she ripped back and did a plain BO. Well no WONDER these looked so foreign to me when comparing them to my memories of Nartian's Fetchings. Duh! If I had read through her Fetching notes more carefully, I would have seen her mods about changing the BO.



I liked them so much and they were so quick that I decided that they will be a perfect gift for a friend who I had started a felted bag for. The Fetchings will definitely get completed, whereas the felted bag is a crap-shoot!

And (as I mentioned last time) it looks like my first yarn selection (Lana Grossa "Point") will not become Twist. Luckily, this ("Big") was in my stash, and enough of it for Twist. I am still swatching, but hope to get enough done to wash it up soon.
Here's the swatch in progress, and most probably going to become Twist.

And look (Terry)-right on time for YPF!-my WoolGirl December sock kit! "Christmas Tree" is absolutely awesome. The yarn is a Lisuu (now The Unique Sheep) Leili (75/25 Merino/Mohair) in "Spruce Sprigs"! The stitch marker is Mama Llama. We also got a Christmas Tree tape measure and a goodie bag filled with gourmet spiced cider, cinnamon sticks and the chewy mint candies with the tree desigin in the middle. The pattern is a "Ruffled Lace Twisted Rib" pattern! I loves it!

So I am hoping to get Toby's prize out to her soon, but I wanted to tuck a goodie in with it. And I decided since Marcy did such a great job on her guesses (UFO Contest...remember guys?...), I wanted to send her a little something, too. I'm lagging big-time!

Now back to the mitts and figuring out the decreases for the pink felted handbag that has been sitting until I could find the time to work out the decreases!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, I didn't get a Christmas tree measuring tape. :(

But the yarn sure is pretty, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, funny how you knew I'd be poking around these parts looking at new yarn purchases :) Very nice sock kit - me likey! I changed the b/o too when I made these - I wonder if her men's version sometime later on knitty) is different.. Happy Holidays! Terry

Unknown said...

Love the Fetching. Now only if I can find were I placed my pair. So what do I do, cast on the male version, Dashing.

Terry - yes, Dashing has a plain BO and the cables are different (4x4).

I got my Wool Girl package too and thought the x-mas tree tape was too funny. When I first opened it, I thought it was an ornament 'til I saw the lead for the tape instead of a ring to hang it up.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Your fetchings came out great!!

My package hasn't gotten here yet....hmmmm....hopefully today! It sure looks perfect, as always for Woolgirl!!

Anonymous said...

hey, your fetchings are great. i am just about to start my first as well, gift to self!, but was wondering about the bindofff. thanks for the heads up! enjoy the last 10 days! ps. i went to WEBS today!!! i was very good! no sock yarn although i am coveting your woolgirl kit! when is RSC arriving??