Monday, September 24, 2007

WIPs, Stash...and pondering SABLE...

Yes, I have been knitting...but, unfortunately not much on these Solstice Slip socks...yes, the slow going Solstice Slip socks that have been neglected...


...in favor of these! I don't know why, but I got all motivated to work on the second sock to my Cedar Creek sock from the very first Socks that Rock club shipment of 2006. Maybe I just felt the need to start something new without the guilt: you see, if really wasn't something new cuz it was a second sock!

So there I was, innocently plugging away at my second Cedar Creek. I brought it to work in hopes of finishing it at work during our knitting group time. I got the foot to the appropriate length and (of course) it wasn't until then that I realized I had duped myself yet again!

I should have been suspicious as the striping of the foot knit up so uniformly. I should not have been so lazy as to not count the foot stitches. But alas, it was not until I got to the toe decreases of this second sock that it occurred to me that no, I did not follow the written instructions to decrease this size M sock to 60 stitches-5 less than the cuff! No, no...I had decided that since they were knitting up at a fairly snug width (and since I am Miss Pudgey Feet), I had (oh, so long ago, now...) made the Executive Decision to only decrease to 64 for the foot! Doh! (yes, folks, another DOH! Moment!) And when you put the feet up to one another, it is only too obvious!-lol!

So...I had to call and cry to Nartian about what a dork I am. Together, we decided that a little putting aside of this project is what I need to do for the moment.

A part of me wants to barrel through to the end, knowing that the sock will fit anyways, despite the narrower width, and to hell with more closely 'matched' socks! But, OTOH, a part of me wants to be anal and rip back, knowing the striping will more closely resemble. Yet, I somehow feel that I can't allow myself the pleasure of casting on one of my new sock yarns until this sock is complete...and I am SOOOOO over this sock!-lol!

The dilemma: rip back and rework the foot, further stunting my progress and ability to cast-on for another pair of socks anytime soon or blow off my 'can't cast on 'til..." rule and allow myself to put this aside, perhaps condemning the pair to further eternal WIP status, or push through and mark this pair off the list!

Stilaholic Naritian has the right idea: give myself a day or two to think about it, then decide. Yeah, think I'll do that! Thanks, Nartian! She "gets" me; I like that.

And meanwhile, I have started this scarf, Ruffled Roses pattern of which Annie Modesett has made available only to LYSs. I asked Allison at ImagiKnit to order it for me and on Friday, finally got over there to get it from her. Of course, I went ahead and bought the 'prescribed' yarns. It wasn't the time to get creative and envision this in alternative colorways since the picture was B&W and I couldn't remember what all the different colors looked like and how they layed out. But I had picked same colors for the ruffle portion, as well as the two greens, as prescribed anyway, so I stuck to the same...

I have finished the last lace repeat and am now onto the ribbing...I have to say that I love this and hope I can keep my focus on getting it done!


I mentioned I was at ImagiKnit on Friday, so I guess I'd better 'fess up on the Stash Enhancement Xcurtion...

Allison had gotten in lots of new sock yarns, Dream In Color Smooshy being the ones I immediately was drawn to. Of course, she had gotten in so much new that many weren't yet set out on shelves and were on the floor. She was (ahem!) nice enough to point them out to me...there went the yarn diet/budget! Thus, I will not be attending TKGA this Friday!



In addition to the Gallway (I'm inspired to do many Cat Bordhi baby learner socks...), I also got a couple of merino/acrylic yarns that would be cool for baby-whatever stuff (specifically, I have the Baby Surprise Sweater in mind...)-these shown in front of the basket filled with...SOCK YARN!!! Smooshy "Chinatown Apple", Paca Peds (can't remember colorway) and Harvest, Prism and Alpaca Sox. I'll have to check them again for the colorways and names, since they are not nearby...OH! And behind to the left (you can hardly tell!) is a Chameleon Colorworks merino/tencel in "Purple Rain", a light/white color with pale purple and blue.
And I sure wish this order from Woolmeise that Nartian had ordered for me had come in sooner!
I think the these may have helped me to resist (or at least put back) some of the ImagiKnit purchases! Oh well...LOVE this stuff! It feels and seems to be tightly twisted and very solid. I am soooo dying to try this stuff out!
And then, we also got our order of STR! They were putting Foofaraw to "rest", so I decided I HAD to get it! And Gingerbread Dude was too hard to resist-I have visions of socks knit from this colorway to wear around during the holidays! Of course, I went and purchased the 'Autumn' Paca Peds and since Halloween/Thanksgiving precedes Christmas, I will need to knit that up first so that I can have some very Fall sock in that wonderful pumkiny-green colorway! I'm deciding between RPM and a more ribbed sock pattern-maybe Charade? I kind of like the idea of RPM since it would maybe give it a 'cornucopia' look...or maybe a pumpkin/squash feel?

Again, I am taking Nartian's advise: try out the RPMs first...Yeah, think I'll do that!





3 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

I say finish the Cedar Creeks because look at those gorgeous sock yarns that are perfect for fall!! Of course, my current socks are so messed up (one knit on 72 stitches for half, then 64...then other all on 64 stitches)I may not be the best one to answer this question. But I figured if I don't finish them now I will never finish them because I don't want to reknit the other one. They can be my around the house socks.

And my recent purchases at Oregon Flock & Fiber have also made me reconsider going to TKGA this weekend too. Oh well. Those sock yarns from Imagiknit are gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

I'm sooooo drooling over that gingerbread man! Jealous? Who? Me?

Octopus Knits said...

OMG that's a lot of new sock yarn (all gorgeous)!

I do stuff like that all the time (the sock stitch number issue)! Whichever route you decide to take will be fine.

The scarf is knitting up beautifully! What a fun pattern.