Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Random thoughts run through my head!

So here I am recovering from a cold/flu yucky thing, knowing I have to go to work tomorrow and yet am compelled to stay up and blog! And let me tell you, I was so sick that this was the first day that I was well enough to be awake for more then 2-3 hours straight and to even have the urge to knit!

The only thing I did over the three days off of work was spindle for maybe 10-15 minutes a couple of times yesterday, and after each short session I had to lay down and go back to sleep!

I've been entranced with my spindling. Maybe it is like when these people get really sick with fever and wake up with psychic abilities-only mine is a more intense attraction to my spindling! Or really maybe this just is a carryover from my visit to Carolina Homespun and the excitement of having lots more fleece and lots of spindles! Or maybe Morgaine doused me with enthusiasm when she told me of a man she knows who knits and sells *whole sweaters* from yarn he hand-spindles! I of course exclaimed that his sweaters must cost and arm and a leg-and she confirmed this. Then tonight, as I thought of this in my crazy lil' ol' head, I started to think..hmmm...now I know something like that is mucho, mucho work and would have to command a high price, but I wonder...is there more of a novelty that this was all done by a *male*? Like somehow, society would be more "charmed" by the novelty of a hand made sweater made from handmade yarn by a male, somehow likening to "Designer" class? Could a woman doing the same thing get as much for her sweaters made in the same way? I wonder...Now I know that historically, knitting has not always belonged to women, but that doesn't change the frame of mind that many have of knitting being a female thing.

OK, I got that off my chest! Also, let me add that I must be feeling better since instead of going to bed early (the wise choice), I instead plied some of my merino and worked on a silk swatch! Of course, none of this stuff occurred until late this evening when I should have been asleep! Earlier? No knitting or spinning, but I did flip though a knitting catalog, so I was well enough to think about knitting! Actually, I even had stamping on my mind! Like how I purchased a kid's tracing/art lightboard for my 6yo just so that I had an excuse to purchase it for the light table enclosed so I could use it for my embossing! I'm sure there are knitting supplies I've purchased for my kid, as well...like the knitting spool...and the kids' 'knitting machine'...sickness, I tell ya!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Between you and Lily being out for different reasons, I'm having a quiet week.

Hope you're recovering quickly and see you soon.

Stell said...

cool blog, and welcome to KR.