Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"Xtreme" Knitting?

Yeah, like Xtreme PITA!-lol!

OK, first of all-yes, these socks look nothing like the colors of the beginnings of my DK socks I earlier showed you. That's cuz they're not! I couldn't find the beginnings I started last week and ended up stash diving to find more 'kid sock' yarn colors I didn't mind giving up for this project.

So, look how far I've gotten...?

Look how far I made it! Posted by Picasa


And see what I am now showing you?...Yes, Miss Smarty-Pants me decided that I no longer needed to check between the two fabrics to make sure they weren't stuck together. Luckily, I didn't wait too much longer before checking again, yet it was long enough! At least 1 1/4"-1 1/2" to tear back! If that wasn't enough, the join ended up right at the gussett decreases! ARGH! Why not at some straight portion?

The other side that I 'neglected' to show you! Posted by Picasa


I messed around with the two fabrics and did my best to repair the damage. I figured as long as the stitch count comes out right, I really don't care how perfect the gusset decreases are. After all, won't a kid be happy to have something warm on their feet? Who cares if the gussets lack perfection, right? So, that said...

This is as good as it gets! Posted by Picasa


Criminal, I tell you!

So this is my assessment thusfar of this technique:

1) I am glad I am doing this project so that I can learn this technique.
2) I will probably never apply this to sock knitting
3) I don't understand what sane person would prefer this method to others-buy an extra set of needles! Don't be so cheap, damn it!
4) I could knit the pair at the same time more quickly doing them on two sets of DPNs or circs-carrying the yarn front and back wastes time and drives you nuts
5) The risk of having your socks ending up stuck together and having to waste time fixing TWO socks far outweighs any benefits
6) I'm questioning the effect on gauge when knitting in this manner-I will refrain from judging whether it has an effect or not until this set is complete
7) If the gauge is not affected (see 6 above), I could see the benefits of perhaps knitting sleeves in this manner-it would drive me less bonkers than knitting 2 sleeves in the round on 2 circs (which I am currently doing!)

Th-th-th-that's All Folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks fun for someone else to do, but a pain in the ass for me! I love the don't be cheap comment. I have so many extra sets of dpns, but do I ever try to knit a pair at the same time? Of course not, all sets of dpns must have DIFFERENT socks on them!

beadlizard said...

When double-knitting, the gauge tends to be almost perfectly square, which makes it excellent for colourwork where you trade the colors back and forth between the layers.

Frankly, it seems nutso to knit two separate socks simultaneously like that. If you need a self-quilting fabric, then double-knit, but otherwise, you're right: buy another set of needles!

Sorry I've been away for a while. Spread too thin. Still have that yarn sitting here waiting to be sent to you... --Syl

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen you working on this socks. Have you finished them.

LSD