Monday, March 29, 2010

I Make Progress When I Focus!

Nartian and I realized that we were working last Friday so I made my first trip to A Verb for Keeping Warm in Berkeley!  Adrienne was tending shop and Kristine was working in the dye area but popped in to visit and chat. So many beautiful fibers and yarn!

I purchased 2 oz. of Blue Faced Leicester in the Mermaid colorway and 2 oz. in Magic Bean.  LOVE these colors and decided I would spin and ply them together to us for Leethal's latest Knitty pattern, "Buttonhead".  And look what I got done!



I finished and gifted a cabled brimmed hat for my cousin and gave it to her a couple of weeks ago.  No finished pic, but here it is, 1/2 done...
where
Finally, I've made progress on KnitQuest's "A Little Something".  I think the length is just about done.




Just for fun?  Take a look at this...


I saw this piece of hair in the trash and wondered where such a long length of hair could have come from.  I called Lil Emp in and asked, "Did you cut your hair?"  Yes he did.  He had gotten some fake 'tar' in his hair; realizing it wasn't coming out, he cut this piece off!  He has a tuft about an inch long on the top of his head, but it blends in well with his long hair!  Amazing how he got through his younger years when self-delivered haircuts are not unusual only to do something like this at age 9!  He seemed a bit embarrassed by it.  I'm actually rather amused, but you can imagine how seeing this in the trash threw me for a loop a bit!

As an aside, it was a very strange day at work for Nartian and I.  During our usual Monday lunch knitting, there was a loud sound and screaming.  A co-worker had chosen to end his life at our work site by jumping off the top floor of our building into the atrium which it opens out to.  It was disturbing and unsettling to say the least.  My thoughts go out to his family and I am saddened by the hurt he must have been feeling to do such a drastic thing.  It just seems so strange and unreal.  I didn't add this part in to be a downer but at the same time it seemed like I couldn't ignore acknowledging that this happened today.  It was real and a real life is now gone.  I didn't ever work directly with him but after 20+ years of working at this same job, I'm sure I would recognize his face, though his name is not familiar to me.  But maybe not.  For now, I can only send out thoughts of healing and comfort to his family, friends and to my other co-workers who had to see or witness more than I and suffer from the horrors of what they observed.

























8 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

So sad about your coworker. My prayers go out to their family and your coworkers.

In happier news, can't wait to see your little something! That color is so pretty!!

dianne said...

That's horrible about your co-worker. I can only hope he's now found the peace that was missing from his life.

Lovely knits though! A cabled hat is always a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Life gives you perspective even when you aren't looking for any.

Projects look great but I am partial to the spinning. Beautiful and love the spindle!

Neuroknitter said...

I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker. Such a tragedy.

Fabulous projects! The spinning is fantastic!!

cockeyed said...

the spinning is da bomb! Can't wait to see the hat!

Linda said...

I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker. My husband witnessed the suicide of a co-worker years ago. It made a big impact on him. Take care of yourself. Hugs.

Marisol said...

Love all your spinning... I need to learn from you girl at working the handspindle:)

Your "Little Something" looks very pretty too:)

I am so sorry to hear about your co-worker. I hope his family is able to find some comfort at such a difficult time.

Spinny Bunt said...

Your spinning looks lovely!
Hugs