Sunday, November 01, 2009

Six Weeks of a Knitter's Life...

So many times have I blogged in my mind-and yet, nothing appeared here! I finally log in and realize it has been six weeks since my last blog! No time to catch up with the final segments of Sock Summit '09!

What have I done over the past 6 weeks?

Besides the usual PTA meetings and activities, I was inspired to crochet a Amigurumi Fuzzy Panda as part of a Craft Magazine CAL.

The body parts were quick to crochet...
All panda-parts crocheted and ready to go!

And the idea is you crochet the body parts out of a single-ply bulky wool, then use a dog brush on it to create a 'fur'...
It is still not assembled as I await joint for the arms and legs...

Then there are my Lays (Cotty), Too that I put aside for a bit. But I had to take a progress photo.

I'm thinking I may actually start and finish a third gift pair before I finish this pair, but I know I will eventually get them completed!

I had a chance to enjoy my new mug from Jennie the Potter!

The mug and memories make my homemade latte even more enjoyable!

After careful conversation with Knittinggolfer about a particular yarn I recalled in my stash. I resurrected this...
I first told Knittinggolfer that this yarn was perhaps the perfect colorway for her, and that I would never be able to wear these colors...then I pulled out the two skeins and realized I still love the colorway afterall! So, Knittinggolfer and I will ponder the possibilities-gift to her, keep for me, or bff scarflets for us!

I got a chance to sneak over to Knit-One-One Studio for their monthly Crafts Sale and, after a long yarn-buying hiatus, caved and purchased some yarn from Snicklefritz.
Who could resist the feel of merino/cashmere (bottom) in the colorway "Matrix"?!

I turned around and saw Girl on the Rocks' stuff and had difficulty resisting this!
I tried to resist the call of this Squash Blossom colorway, but alas, it won out!

I brought Lil'Emp to the local community center to sign up for some art workshops and was surprised to see Urban Fauna Studios/Maryjane's Attic there with their spinning wheel, spindles and fleece!
Blas showed LE the ropes-literally-as he taught him to spin! And I got to spin away on a spindle they had brought!

The next Sunday was my bff trip to the Farmer's Market where my bff made me buy some of the most awesome miso dressing in the world!

Nago Miso dressings are deeee-lish! What to get? Wasabi, Original or Spicy? Ginger was a no-brainer: since I don't care for ginger, it was immediately eliminated. I went for the Spicy and Wasabi!

It was my first trip to this particular farmer's market and we then journeyed over to Urban Fauna Studios, as I had yet to step foot in the shop-and it had been open for over a year!

For such a little place, there is plenty to intrigue me and I couldn't walk away without this...
My last count has me up to over 13 spindles! But who could resist? The feel, the spin...! GORGEOUS!

After a loooong time, I was finally able to make a journey to Sunnyvale to pick up Cat's new book and to get a skein of Purl Up and Dye! Now I'm wishing I'd bought two! (more on this later...*) It was great seeing the Purl Girls and spending a bit of time knitting. I even got some great help on the Solly Sweater that is still in progress!

Sassyman's birthday fell in the month of October. I opted to make him a more diabetes-friendly cheesecake. I added mangos and bananas to the top of a classic NY style cheesecake and I must say it was pretty tasty-even with half the sugar subbed with Splenda!

Not-so-diabetes-friendly was the Cupcake Clash Sassyman and I attended with Lil' Emp in tow! It was put on by SF Food Wars. There were 22 mini-cupcake entries-I think I tried at least 18 of them. And, Murphy's Law being what it is, one of the few I did NOT taste, won First Place!
See that orange one in the upper-left with the stick? It was an Orange Creamsicle flavor! Tasted just like the real deal!

And a bit of reinforcement for my ever-wandering knitting hands-if I stick to one project, I really can get it done!

After seeing a woman with a long stole at the horseraces one weekend, I wondered why I never got around to making myself such warm wrap? I then became inspired-no, it became my quest!-to make myself a nice, long stole! I realized that I: 1) had never made a Clapotis, 2) could make a bigger Clapotis to be more wrap-sized, 3) had 11 skeins of Noro Kureyon in my closet, 4) had forgotten exactly WHAT I had purchased it for and 5) only knew that whatever it was supposed to be for, was probably not so good of a use for it anyway!

I started my first Clapotis and after about 50 yards, decided I could perhaps have a finished wrap by the end of October! With a few mild meanderings away from the Clapotis for an occasional knit on my "Carmen" and to start a sock KAL, I mostly remained faithful to my Clapotis. By October 30, look what I got to wear to work!

*So now I want to make a smaller, scarfier Clapotis! If only I had TWO skeins of one of my sock yarns-and that Purl up and Dye colorway would have been just the perfect choice!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! HAPPY FALL! HAPPY KNITTER!!!

8 comments:

knitter said...

Love the Clap! I have two wrap-ish ones, I want to do the scarfy variety too. Some day, now that is is finally under 100 degrees here! Nice blogging, I need to get back at it too.

dianne said...

That's such a pretty Clapotis! Someday I may make one myself:-)

cupcakefaerie said...

I'm so glad to see you back! You've been a busy bee. Love the Clapotis--I still haven't made one of those.

Sam said...

That's a lot going on! The clapotis look beautiful and super cozy.

Rocky Moreno said...

Glad to see you post! I've been stalking your blog 8) I love that Noro Clap! Awesome!

Tammy said...

I love your clapotis! Mine's not quite as wrappish as yours is, though I did make it bigger than the pattern, but used Silky STR, so much thinner yarn. Still love it alot!

Anonymous said...

Ah! So nice to have a stash, knit something from awhile ago and then have a gorgeous wrap for the coming winter! It's beautiful! How are you liking spindling? Kunderts are wonderful arent they? Terry

Knitting Kris said...

That is such a nice clapotis! I love the colors! I think you made up for the lack of blogging with this post - it was fun to read!
PS - try a skein of Wollmeise 100% for a scarf clapotis. It is just enough yarn for a nice scarf.