Monday, August 03, 2009

Third Time's a Charm?...

I don't think so!

But there you have it...the Princess Mitts for a Queen! Still not perfect, but certainly better than the first TWO renditions of the left mitt!


Last I posted, I think I had mentioned the issue of gauge and the near-inch difference between the first and second knitted mitt!

But when the second go-round was knit, look what happened!
For those who need a bit of a hint: I have two RIGHT mitts, not a right and a left!-doh!


And really, the third "left" mitt would have been nicer to re-knit had I more time and patience, but it wasn't happening. I just couldn't do it. But in case you didn't notice, the left gusset was very strange: the ribbing just didn't seem 'right'.

And sure enough, Nartian figured out and found the revised Princess Mitts pattern! If you look at the revised charts, you would never guess that it was the same pattern! Well, at least not the thumb increase chart portions...Ah, well...as Knittinggolfer and I discussed, sometimes it is hard to remember to check for pattern errata. In my case-especially when trying to get a gift done quickly! I seem to recall either Cat (Moebius Bordhi) or Yarn Harlot Steph say in one of their classes that you should 'frequently admire your work'. Nartian said it was Harlot in our last Knitting for Efficiency class. But in that class, her reference to admiring work frequently was that doing so often slows your knitting speed. I seem to recall that the 'admire your work frequently' I was recalling was made in reference to 'keep your eyes open for mistakes so you can catch them earlier on'. I don't learn, do I?

So I am back from a road trip with SassyMan and Lil Emp and all I have to show for it is a finished pair of sport weight Cotty's (that were just about completed before leaving...) and the mitts! That's it. I worked a bit on Ulmus...

The Ulmus found its way to the beach at the "Strand" on Coronado Island; I knit while I kept and eye on my guys...

I knit the left mitt of Princess Mitts THREE times.

I learned what a shark egg looks like...

they're the spiral algae looking things...


Lil Emp got his wish to see the La Brea Tar Pits!

I don't recall stuff still oozing from the ground, but it has been over 25 years since I was last there! Pretty amazing and all in the middle of the city!


And while in San Diego, we even got glimpses of ComicCon-goers! Sorry, Nartian, no Twilight Geek Fan photos!


Our trip even included a visit with Lil' Emp's cousin, Nico...

And upon my return, a whirlwind of basket ball clinic, PTA meeting/get-together, and a 60th Birthday party which ended with this...
Turtle Pie! So yummy! Happy Birthday to a wonderful quilting guru, my quilt teacher, and a most-talented woman, Karen!

So it's back to two days of work and off to Sock Summit on Wednesday morning! I'm stressing about the whole luncheon thing and luggage handling, not to mention the fact that SassyMan seems to have gotten a flu or something that I hope I will not catch! MUST STAY WELL FOR SS09!!!

4 comments:

Knitting Kris said...

Oh my...I'm glad it all ended well with the finished mitts (and the turtle pie)! I love the mitts, and I'm sure there will be a grateful recipient.

Anonymous said...

i can so relate to reknitting the same thing several times trying to make a "pair"! see my neptune jasmine mitts....groan.

have fun at sock summit!

and that turtle pie looks absolutely yummy. me some!!!!!

dianne said...

Those darn mittens! The end result is gorgeous though and well worth the effort. Have fun at SS09!

Tan said...

Hoping for lotsa lotsa pix from SS09!!! Thanks for showing the tar pits. Wowzers!