Saturday, January 20, 2007

Yarn and Fiber Gluttony

I realized that I had forgotten that I had expanded my yarn substash even more! Here are the lovely Lorna's Laces Shepard Sport I purchased a while back...(Purple Iris, Desert Flowers, Vera colorways)
P1180158

And some Claudia Handpainted I had forgotten about! (Stormy Days and Purple Earth)
P1180157

A little food to show you because I thought this little star pasta looked so interesting:
P1180162

And guess what I did today...? OK, besides attending a workshop, I got to go to Carolina Homespun and of course couldn't walk away empty-handed...I had to add to my SPINDLE collection! Check this one out:
P1200167
a *square* whorl!!! It is a spindle from SpindleWood Co. The whorl is "Lignum Vitae" (Ironwood) and the shaft is Bloodwood. I just love this one!

P1200166

And, of course, roving to go with it: Spinderella Midnight Lights and some Sage and Garnet merino to spin!

I definitely should NOT go to Stitches West this year since I'll be going to Sock Camp. I had a conversation with Morgaine (at Carolina Homespun) and another woman who was there having her test out her spindles. We decided it is torture and not being good to yourself to attend a Stitches West when you do not want nor intend to spend money. Besides, it is a small sacrifice since I instead will be attending Sock Camp.

I guess I should explain Sock Camp, since I hadn't done so earlier. I am a member of the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club. I joined last year and am joining for this year.

Well, the most awesome ladies at Blue Moon decided to put together a Sock Camp (Camp Cockamamie, to be exact) exclusively for us members of 2006. It is a 3-day camp which will include 2 full days of classes with Cat Bordhi and the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McFee, as well as Tina Newton (awesome Dyer Extroidanaire of Blue Moon) and Kaci (the other Blue Moon Lady of Awesomeness!); oh-and a day of whale watching and other fun activities.

I decided I needed to go for it and splurge, so there you have it-I'm going!!! It's not until mid-April and I'm so excited to be a part of it!

Oh...and a last thing to share: I had a lovely lunch on Friday with a couple of good friends at the Beach Chalet. The weather was nice and sunny and made up for the rain and cold of the days before.
P1190163
The picture looks gloomier than the day actually was. And you have to appreciate the detailing of the historic building it is in...
P1190164
P1190165

WOW! I'm Super Blog-Woman tonight!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Hi Leslie--I saw your coment on the str sockblog, I think it is about a 10-12 hour drive from SF to Portland, OR, then tack on another 3 1/2 hours to Seattle. If you are going to Anacortes though that might be another 1-2 hours past Seattle. We've made the drive to San Jose in the past year, and to Seattle in November, that's what I am basing my time off of. I'll be there too at sock camp, with Tina!! I am anxious for it to get here.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, sock yarns, Carolina Homespun (cool spindle!) and food! Funny thing about the BC is the bathroon is way! downstairs from the restaurant and not too big to accomadate eaters and tourists :) Fantastic colors - I think you just enabled an inkling for a trip to CH! Terry

tapmouse said...

Well I'm glad you knew where I was talking about, Terry, since I mis-spelled "Carolina" twice! I was so tired and delirious writing that the other night but just didn't want to go to sleep til my entry was done!-lol! Now I see the mistakes!

Unknown said...

I don't picture you as a LL Desert Flowers type, but I love the rest of your stash.

Nice spindle & roving, BTW. But I'm still not heading down that slippery slope.

tapmouse said...

So right you are on the Desert Flowers colorway, which is why it could be a GOOD thing as far as making socks for non-knitting friends. I think I know the perfect recipient and since it is a heavier wt, it would make for good gift socks.

You know that I will continue to work on you with the spinning!-lol!