Wednesday, May 24, 2006

In the beginning, there was a bag...

...circa 1970's. I was a girlscout and like all good girl scouts, we worked on our badges. This was one of our projects: a tie-dyed, sewn bag with embroidery. My first embroidery and the beginnings of my journey into all things needle-worked!

I would go to the local Woolworth's yarn section and purchase thin books on embroidery stitches, needlepoint, crocheting, knitting, tatting...I would buy kits for hooked rugs, crewel,plastic canvas needle point, and eventually counted-cross stitch. By the time I was 18, I was teaching stitchery and selling 'Creative Circle'kits! Never did quite get down 'tatting' and never got past plain knitting and purling until I picked up knitting again 2 1/2 years ago! Of course, I haven't even mentioned my Singer sewing class I took as a pre-teen and all other handwork investigations/passions I've gotten into since: lapidary, cake decorating, quilting, stamping, scrapping, "paper arts", polymer clay...

Girl Scouting-what a great thing!



The beginning of it all... Posted by Picasa

No comments: