Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Book MeMe

Well I just got tagged by Sylvia, so I figured-what the heck! I'm sure this won't be very interesting, but for the insight into how the non-literary live! DO they read? WHAT do they read? My reading time is limited (I use my free time to do more handwork than reading and I haven't tried reading and knitting at the same time! What reading I do is mostly magazines and how-to books with occasional whimsical reads--totally random and who knows why I pick up the book!...Seems that most bloggers are quite the writers-must be the attraction of writing that brings one to blogging. My quest to track my projects and blab was the attraction for me...So here goes:

[1] Name five of your [many] favorite books. Sad, but true, I have none. None that I could REALLY label MY FAVORITES in a very excited way, though I did enjoy Little Women the first time I read it as a kid. It must have been well-written if I could read that as well as Jo's Boys and get through both THICK (for me, and for a kid!) volumes! I love the Harry Potter series and my favorite book when I was even younger than the "Little Women" admirer was The Dancing Princesses (or was it 12 Dancing Princesses?). Anyways, I always loved fairy tales! I have enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed The YaYa Sisterhood.

[2] What was the last book you bought?
Sweater Design by Newton. I can't remember her first name...Deborah? Anyways, just thumbing through it right now and reading in scattered bits and pieces. I just can't read what is to be a 'reference book' cover to cover. It must be approached as more of an encyclopedia, exploring each topic as the need or interest arises.

[3] What was the last book you read?
Cover to cover-wise, probably the last Harry Potter Book (The Half-Blood Prince).Oh, wait--it was "The Chinese in America" by Iris Chang. And, of course, the last book I picked up to read a bit of was the Sweater Design book.

[4] List five books or authors that have been particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order).
I learned of George Anderson, a psychic in the East Coast via this series of books. Unfortunately, the author's name escapes me, but he didn't actually WRITE it anyway (IMO), he just threw a bunch of his radio transcripts with George's readings in and some other lady did the actual writing. George Anderson came out with his own book or two later. BTW, the name has re-appeared in my mind-JOEL MARTIN--he wrote the books, "We Don't Die", "We are Not Alone" and I think the third is "Messages from the other Side"--all with mostly transcripts of George Anderson's readings. I've read George Anderson's book, too. As a kid, I thoroughly enjoyed 'Noisy Nora'-somehow I related to her. OK, the big and only meaningful author-Theodore Giesel--yes, DR. SEUSS who didn't have much of an affinity for kids. Who can help but Green Eggs and Ham, Red Fish, Blue Fish, The Cat in the Hat? Oh-and reading William Shakespeare gave me an appreciation for getting through old English and enjoying it!

[5] Name some books you’ve been dying to read but just haven’t yet.
"Getting Things Done"--didn't the author REALIZE the audience he was addressing?! If we could get through his book, we wouldn't NEED to read it!

[6] Tag people. I'll have to direct them over here! Ms. Dana-Girl!-you're tagged! NuNu's--you, too!

2 comments:

beadlizard said...

All really visual books. Hmmm. I think the only knitting books that I've enjoyed reading cover-to-cover are EZ's, especially her Almanac. Have you seen it yet, Leslie?

I expected you to include some quilting book titles. Which magazines do you read? Thanks for doing the meme. --Sylvia

tapmouse said...

You know, I've seen the almanac and purchased Knitting Around. That one is EZ's, isn't it?

As for quilting books, I have a few, but unlike all my other handcrafts, I'm not self-taught in quilting. I had sewn before and then got into quilting through taking classes. My 'group' is a self-paced, 'independent study' group where we have a teacher (who is AWESOME) who guides up in whatever project we are working on.

Magazines are: Interweave Knits, Cast-On (because I joined TKGA, not necessarily because I love the publication...), and Eating Well. (LOVE Eating Well! My FAVORITE mag!) I had been gettng Expressions Magazine from day 1, but chose not to renew; lucky, since they (sadly) folded. It was a great magazine with lots of fun stuff (stamping, paper arts, some beading, some polyclay, book arts, etc...) I just wasn't reading them!