Monday, March 07, 2005

What I learned...

OK, I think it is worthwhile to always note 'what I learned' from each project, since I am yet to knit anything without my personal 'design elements' (you know--deviations from what I originally THOUGHT I was going to knit and how it was SUPPOSED to turn out!)

I learned...
  • it takes MORE than just 5 skeins of Jo Sharp Ultra (at 60 yds per skein...) to make a kid's poncho...
  • a predominantly blue with beige accent ponch can easily become a multi-colored poncho (see above)
  • if you try and find more of the same yarn (and even willing to go with a different lot #), you will NOT find more of the color you want--PERIOD.
  • change yarn color for the stripes somewhere OTHER than the FRONT! (See? I told you all I'm a newbie knitter...think I need to read up on stripes...)
  • there is ALWAYS SOMEONE who wants to tell you how you SHOULD do the closure on the poncho even though you have already decided and TOLD them what you are going to do...
  • it IS possible to finish a project on time for an occasion...not sure about getting it to them on time, though...
  • sometimes a planned gift for a kid is not the most practicle...do you know what the wash instructions are for this yarn??? do you know how much 7 skeins totalled, even at an Elann great price! I guess we really do do these things for the love of knitting, though I would ONLY knit something for a TRULY loved one anyway...well, except for charity knitting, which I enjoy.

No comments: