Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The case in favor of a wheel

The way I see it, I could either wait until the furloughs at work cease and our salary is restored, or I could use my coming tax returns to purchase a spinning wheel now. 

At the news of my former boss (now moved to a City job) losing her job (it was eliminated) and the economy not doing so great, I started to re-think my decision to use part of tax returns towards the purchase of a spinning wheel.  THE spinning wheel.  The long-desired spinning wheel.  The one that maybe 5 years ago Morgaine of Carolina Homespun had recommended to me but that I had decided to wait on so that I could splurge and go to the very first Sock Camp.  The same wheel that I postponed purchasing time and again due to budgetary constraints.  Due to space constraints.

I had finally decided that this was it-I would take the plunge and purchase my long-desired wheel.  Afterall, I will be getting a tax return!

Then I started thinking that maybe *this* is exactly the time I should hold back on a major purchase.  That things could get worst and that this would be a purchase of regret.

Well, at some point I turned my thought around and started envisioning my monetary situation not getting better.  In fact, getting worst where I could never get a wheel.  It then occured to me that this was exactly the time to go ahead and get it!  If times get worst, I will have my wheel and not have to put it off further into the future. 

And the best part?  It is a tool.  If all else failed, I would have a tool to work with, to help me be more efficient in making things.  It would give me more earning/creating options if I had to figure out how to make some extra money with a side job.  How perfect to buy a spinning wheel NOW!

And so, when I saw Amy from Knitty.com retweet "RT @avfkw: you know what's awesome? buying your spinning wheel from your local spinning shop. #supportyourlocaleconomy" I went straight over to Carolina Homespun's site and was immediately reminded of the "1% for Peace" as well as how I had told myself all those years ago that when I purchased my wheel, it would be from Morgaine because she was the one who first told me about the Lendrum.  She was the one who I purchased my very first spindle/kit from.  She was the one who made me sit and learn to "park and draft" when I returned to her booth the following show to tell her how I just wasn't able to teach myself to drop spindle.  And so I clicked the 'buy'.

In my attempt to finalize my payment, I realized Morgaine was out of town for the Maryland Sheep and Wool. Festival.  It was ok.  I could wait for her return.  This morning I was surprised to read Lann's email back to me saying, "the only question is...do you want to come here and pick it up?" 


So right after work, I headed straight to Carolina Homespun.  And tonight, I got to play with my new wheel!



And for fun, I had snuck a couple of stash enhancement excurtions in...

A purchase from One Planet's 3 day sale...

Some Fleece Artist BFL roving and a couple of balls of DK merino that was priced well and I couldn't pass up!  I have been trying to figure out what to knit for a co-worker's baby and new this would be enough for a baby vest.

Then, I saw this and could not resist...

I'm thinking this will be cute in BMFA medium weight Socks that Rock.  I'm thinking Boysenberry with maybe Sophie? or possibly with Grandma's Garden?  Apple Valley Road is appealing for the body, too, but it may come out too stripey and I'm going more 'semi-solid'.  Input?  Feel free to give your opinion-the order hasn't gone in yet!

5 comments:

Marisol said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you:)

Cyber Hugs:)

Spin, Spin, Spin like the wind!

Tece said...

I have that pattern book, too! I haven't made anything from it yet, but it's entertaining to think about the options.....congratulations on your new toy (or tool, however you want to look at it!)

Denise said...

I'm glad you decided to buy the wheel. :-)
Congratulations - I'm happy for you!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new wheel!

And I love that pattern book too.

Rocky Moreno said...

ooh!I so need to buy a wheel! lucky! but I love that you have one! you'll enjoy it!